What’s love got to do with it?
A lot! In fact, it’s all about love and caring.
There are many reasons for doing advanced care planning. I have listed several below. However, the most important, is because it helps your loved ones during a very difficult time. Tied for first or running a close second is because it is the best way to get health and medical treatment that is consistent with YOUR desires, personal values, attitudes, and beliefs surrounding health care, illness, and death. Not too much, not too little, just right. It puts you in charge!
I have many sad stories from the Emergency Department where the whole situation would be have been so much better had “The Conversation” taken place. Things would have been even better if the persons’ wishes had been written down.
The Emergency Department is not the place to start thinking about these issues. They best occur in the comfort of your own home, with coffee and with friends, or perhaps at the bar with moderation in alcohol intake being particularly important. In reality, it will probably take a little of both.
10 reasons to do your advanced care planning:
- Your health and medical treatment will be based on YOUR personal values, attitudes, and beliefs surrounding health care, illness, and death.
- You will leave your loved ones better off, emotionally and financially, if you do your advanced care directives.
- People who have advanced care directives in place report a better quality of life.
- Studies have shown (in cancer patients) that those with advanced care directives have more quantity of life.
- Advanced care directives will make your emergency personnel’s job easier. They will know how to best comply with your wishes in a life-threatening situation. When everybody is on the same page, everybody is on the same team.
- Advanced care directives will make your survivors jobs easier in terms of informing your care team about your wishes and helping making decisions if needed. It will allow them to speak for you, knowing what your wishes are, rather than trying to figure them out then. When everybody is on the same page, everybody is on the same team.
- Advanced care directives save healthcare dollars while people get all of the care they want.
- You will positively affect the American economy.
- Our community can be more like LaCrosse Wisconsin. (Isn’t that what you have always wanted??)!
- You’ll get to come to my party.
That’s a start!
Help me with 11 – 20! Submit your thoughts through my Healthcare Questionnaire and join me on April 16th, National Healthcare Decisions Day, getting the conversation started wherever you are!